The holiday season is upon us! That means family time, cozy nights by the fire, baked goods…and scrambling to buy presents! But here’s an idea for you -save some time by grouping your holiday travel and holiday shopping!
If you’re traveling to Columbus this holiday season, we’ve compiled a few local stores you absolutely must check out for your holiday gift needs. You’ll get to explore a new place, avoid the online shopping shipping wait, and best yet -by shopping small you’ll be supporting the local economy and small business owners!
It’s all in the name at Celebrate Local: Shop the Best of Ohio, located in Easton Town Center. This “business incubator” supports Ohio-based small family business, artists, and authors by selling their wares. You’ll be able to find something for anyone on your list among their selection of over 6,000 unique products like local jams, wines, and candies, pet accessories, skincare products, jewelry, and apparel.
Candles are always a great gift idea, and Columbus has a wealth of Black-owned candle shops so you can find great gifts while giving back to the Black community! Some great options are:
· Itz Appropriate Candles, which has been a family-owned business since 1999 and is dedicated to bringing happiness, harmony, and healing to every home with their candles and skincare products. They have a huge variety of candles to “light up every room” to choose from.
· Woman-owned Coco and Grace hand-pours their candles in small batches. Their geographically themed candles are designed to inspire you to explore and appreciate other cultures. They have a “Motherland Collection” that offers candles with scents inspired by different African nations and a “Southern Collection” with scents inspired by different cities in the Southern US.
· Another woman-owned business, Kandles By Darelle has a ton of delicious food and botanical scented candles. Some of the scent collections include cocktails, baked goods, and fruits. A fun gift idea for a candle aficionado on your list is a private consultation with owner Darelle to create their own signature candle fragrance!
The Red Stable
Originally a horse livery, this historical building represents the important contributions German immigrants made to Columbus. The Red Stable German Village Souvenirs and Gifts offers products from local vendors and artists as well as German hand-crafted products (they have the largest collection of nutcrackers in Ohio!). Shop there for gifts including holiday ornaments, artisanal food products, and stationery.
John Glenn Columbus International Airport
Of course, if your hectic holiday has you rushing straight from the plane to a family gathering, you won’t have time to browse through the boutiques in downtown Columbus. Don’t worry, you may be able to find something at the Columbus International Airport! Unfortunately, many of its shops are currently closed due to the pandemic, but here are a couple places you can check out for last-minute gifts:
· Columbus Marketplace has your typical airport newsstand fair, alongside some souvenir and gift items.
· Similarly, Capital City TravelMart has snacks and souvenirs that could make good small gifts.
Looking for Columbus Parking?