The holiday season is upon us! That means family time, cozy nights by the fire, baked goods…and scrambling to buy presents! But here’s an idea for you -save some time by grouping your holiday travel and holiday shopping.
If you’re traveling to Detroit this holiday season, we’ve compiled a few local stores you absolutely must check out for your holiday gift needs. You’ll get to explore a new place, avoid the online shopping shipping wait, and best yet -by shopping small you’ll be supporting the local economy and small business owners!
City Bird is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year, which makes it the oldest store in Detroit’s popular Cass and Canfield shopping district! This small business was founded by siblings who are lifelong, seventh-generation Detroiters and who continue to show love to Motown with their popular line of locally-themed products, produced in their own Detroit-based studio. Additionally, the gift shop supports artisans from Michigan by carrying art and handmade goods from over 400 artists based around the Great Lakes region. To keep your gift shopping going, also visit their home goods shop next door, Nest.
Detroit Institute of Arts
Support a local cultural institution by visiting the DIA Gift Shop. This art museum has lots of great gifts like apparel, holiday ornaments, and kids’ toys and art supplies. The DIA has also taken the fine art theme and applied it to many of their gift items, so if you know anyone who’d be interested in a Munch’s The Scream face mask or a Van Gogh puzzle, then you’ve come to the right place. The gift shop also pays homage to the Motor City’s roots with a line of model historic cars. You can also gift someone tickets or a membership so they can keep the cultural experience going!
Baked goods make a delicious present for anyone, and there’s also nothing sweeter than supporting Detroit’s Black-owned businesses. You can do both at:
· Dilla’s Delights serves up donuts in all different styles and flavors. The store was inspired by late Detroit hip hop artist J. Dilla’s daughters and is run by his uncle.
· Good Cakes & Bakes is sure to make your hosts smile with one of their varieties of gooey cakes.
· Kitty’s Cheesecakes in Ferndale even has the local Michigan flavor “Superman”!
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport
Of course, if your hectic holiday has you rushing straight from the plane to a family gathering, you won’t have time to browse through the boutiques in downtown Detroit. Don’t worry, Detroit Metro Airport has you covered! This massive airport has a ton of options, but here are a few of the great shops you’ll find inside:
· If you’re shopping for kids, get toys, dolls, or games at Creative Kidstuff in the McNamara Terminal.
· Detroit!, in the McNamara Terminal, has Southeast Michigan-themed goods.
· Green -A Natural Living Store, in the McNamara Terminal, carries repurposed accessories and apparel for adults and children.
· Frivolous, in the North terminal, has unique and creative items.
Looking for Detroit Parking?