Celebrating LGBT Pride Month in Denver, CO, began in 1976 starting with the first Pridefest in the city which coincided with the opening of The Centre on Colfax which is now responsible for organizing, running, and producing the pride events throughout Denver in June every year. If you are interested in knowing what are some of the main events in Denver during Pride Month then read on for all the information you need.
The parade itself is usually held during the third weekend in June. The celebrations begin throughout Denver on Friday in local bars, restaurants, parks, and nightclubs. The atmosphere is electric and full of members of the LGBT community and its allies celebrating together the achievements of the movements but also highlighting each of the struggles it still faces and moving forwards, together, towards the same goal: equality for all.
The PrideFest Parade itself usually begins at around 9:30 in the morning on the Sunday, where floats and stalls are set up by a range of companies and other organizations that offer their support to LGBT causes. Denver’s pride has many famous faces in attendance from politicians to celebrities.
After the parade ends the festival begins; surrounding the Civic Center Park roads stay closed as a street fair and a rally begins. Here you can find a huge range of stalls, vendors, and floats that have different food, drinks, and souvenirs or novelty items available for you to purchase such as clothing, jewelry, decorative home items, banners, and stationery.
Artists who are both local to Denver but also national, offer a range of entertainment on multiple stages across the event. You can look forward to enjoying music, drag shows, pageants, key speakers, and more. The festival ends early on the Sunday evening and a few hours later, after a city-wide cleanup, the streets reopen as normal once again.
TOP ACTIVITIES DURING PRIDEFEST
- THE PRIDE 5K RUN – all proceeds are raised for LGBT community causes.
- THE DYKE MARCH – celebrate women, equality and march forward together for a better tomorrow.
- CENTER RUN PROGRAMS – here you can enjoy keynote speakers highlighting the struggles faced, the history of Pride in Denver, and how we can all play a part.
- DRAG ACTS – at the center stage you will see some of the best drag acts Denver has to offer.
- MARKETPLACE FOR AN AUCTION – again, all proceeds are raised for LGBT community causes.
- LATIN STAGES AND DANCE WORLD – let your hair down, slip on your dancing shoes and have a fun fiesta in style with the LGBT community in all its fabulous glory.
Pride is celebrated across the world and has grown from just a few hundred members in New York City to a 50-year movement which has seen a huge amount of changes in the LGBT community over the years. But more can always be done, which is why each year Denver goes bigger and better to throw the best Pridefest it can and make the city a fantastic place to be during Pride Month.
Looking for Denver airport parking?